Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Why do I torture myself?

I know what happens (or will happen). I know how evil people are, and how realistically they can be portrayed. So WHY am I watching 24?

I liked that this season finally addresses Africa (initially, at least - who knows where it will go?). And I was amused at the whole This! Time! Jack! Is! Working! Outside! The! Government! angle.

But as much as the subject matter is slightly varied, and the potential for a somewhat new approach (given the current "real life" administration) is enormous, my personal problem remains: I am given to expect the worst from people. When a government agent turns out to be a traitor, or a Secret Service agents tries to assassinate the president's spouse, it's par for the course with me. But when an average person (or a government agent/employee) is portrayed - as so often does happen in real life - as laying down his or her life to protect/save the lives of others, it tears me up completely. Because I am not wired to expect that from anyone other than my family. The notion that a person could and would make that sacrifice for an untold (and unanticipated/unexpected) number of strangers who may never know the magnitude of their sacrifice kills me. I can hardly bear it.

I'm sure there are a million ways to analyze this, especially considering my own guilt/self-worth issues. I just don't understand why I keep coming back for more upset. From a tv show. Maybe I want to be convinced that this really happens, or could happen?

2 comments:

Leilani said...

Katrina - You obviously didn't pay enough attention to the Alec Baldwin commercial. You're torn up because your brains are turning into a cottage cheese-like substance from whence they'll turn all the way to mush.

Don't you love the word verification stuff they put on here? My verification for Michael's lates post was "frica" (which is either part of a continent or a variation of a low-rate epithet); and the verification for this post is "monswi." Hmmm. Is someone out there garbling Francais?

Trina said...

I wish I could convey to you just how entertaining this is, mama! TV has come a long way in the past 20+ years. It still pales in comparison to books, but it can be awesome. Can I appeal to the Python fan in you? There is good stuff, post-Monty Python.

As for the "word verification", that's more accurately "letter verification". Those are random letter sequences - blogger doesn't think they're actual words.