Tuesday, May 08, 2007

*Gag*

I know I belong to too many yahoo groups. I join a bunch, stick around for a while, then leave. It's what I do. It's why I shouldn't make "real" friends (different settings, similar behavior on my part). But I do, and now I'm being punished. I belong to a couple Weight Watchers Core groups that have been quite helpful, and I don't want to leave them. But staying with these groups has exposed me to one of the horrors of the internet: Incredimail.

This is some of THE tackiest shit I have ever seen. Chris and I have joked about decorating a guest room for unwelcome visitors in an overwhelming lighthouse theme, and now thanks to this "service", I have received multiple lighthouse-themed emails. "Cute" country mice getting into peoples' food. Peoples' names animated (or still) with penguins. Flowers. Stars. Rainbows. Stuffed bunnies. Precious Moments. Need I say more? It's like a bunch of 11-year-old girls got ahold of my computer and reprogrammed it.

Seriously, I'm glad any- and everyone can get on the internet. My WWII-era farmer-stock grandparents are online, bless them, and getting a lot done! But they're not wasting their time or mine with cutesy smarmy nauseating graphics in their emails. And honestly, I wish the rest of the world was on the same page. I feel my IQ (and the collective quotient of every group involved) dropping with every Incredipuke message. WTF motivates people to inflict this sort of thing on others?

Seriously, this must be stopped.

2 comments:

Lisa Olga said...

What motivates Incredicrap? Just one more flimsy toy from the online marketing bag'o'tricks. Sites link cookies too...so you visit a frag board or shop and then you are on something totally unrelated, but the web-ads on the page are for fragrance shops and the like. One more reason to regularly chear the cookies and cache.

And I added you to my blogroll! Thanks for the link. You should have told me and I would have done it sooner. I am all about reciprocal linking, my dear.

Trina said...

You are right, of course, about Incredicrap as a company. I just don't understand the mentality of the people who sign up for and *use* the stuff! WHY?!?

And thanks for adding me to your roll! I just link to folks I like - reciprocity is hardly expected ot necessary :~D